Are folks making the move to Lucee 6? We've starte...
# lucee
m
Are folks making the move to Lucee 6? We've started exploring it, but haven't found a compelling case to move off of stable 5.4
b
Hi mjclemente, We have already started migrating to Lucee 6 without issues so far. It may not be a feature to feature kind of decision, but as a general rule, it is good to advance with the versions. I personally like the single server context over server/web. I also like new toys such as MarkdownToHtml, that let us bypass Flexmark. Outside of that, it has become trivial to containerize Lucee, which opens a new world of possibilities toward services.
m
Thanks! Yeah, I understand the general push toward upgrading, and Java 17+ support is a reason we're considering it. One of my biggest causes of concern is that, unlike 5.4, the documentation of features, issues, etc is so, so limited still at this point.
p
Built a new site on Lucee 6 ( containerised ) zero issues. I've been out of the Lucee loop for a while so didn't even think about it went with newest.
👍 1
👍🏼 1
b
Hey mjclemente, now that you mentioned docs, I have to agree with you. If any Lucee team member sees this, it would be nice to pour some love into the docs. I know they are a small team, but having good docs is crucial these days.
m
We've only just begun with the process of upgrading our whole stack, but I wonder if we shouldn't wait for Lucee 6.2 to be released. As we do love Debian a lot and will stick with it, I'd like to build upon Debian 12 (stable), but the maintainers have dropped Tomcat 9 in favour of Tomcat 10 from bookworm - and Tomcat 10 obviously comes with the whole javax->jakarta mess attached. I understand that while we can now use Java 21 with Lucee 6.1, it won't be until 6.2 that Tomcat 10 would be an option. For now I have decided to add the Debian 11 (bullseye) repo and use apt-pinning to install Tomcat 9. It feels not quite optimal, but maybe we'll see some more progress towards Lucee 6.2 before we actually switch to the new stack. Would anyone happen to be able to make an educated guess as to the time when a 6.2 release may be realistic?
e
Moved most of the production that was on lucee, to lucee when it was in beta. Lucee so far for what we do with it, even when it was in BETA was stable enough for the enterprise. As for Lucee 6.2, either start contributing time or treasure or both and you can make it happen a lot faster than you would think.
m
In case you aren't aware, they have started to create documentation "recipes" on github. I have not read thru them all but you might find some more documentation there. https://github.com/lucee/lucee-docs/tree/master/docs/recipes
👍 1